How to Complete a MAWB
International MAWBs must be typed or computer-printed. Customers may provide additional information, however UPS Air Cargo requires the information covered below.
To obtain Air Waybills, complete the Air Waybill Request Form (U.S., Latin America, Mexico and Canada Origins Only).
Field Descriptions of MAWB
The following information is required on all Master Air Waybills (MAWB).
- Section 1 Completed By Customer
Shipper's name and address.
- Section 2 Completed By Customer
Consignee's name and address.
- Section 3 Completed By Customer
The three letter code of the origin airport. This is the origin airport code whether the freight trucks or flies.
- Section 4 Completed By Customer
The three letter code of the destination airport.
- Section 5 Completed By Customer
Declared Value for Carriage Option
- Section 6 Completed By Customer
Shipment Value for Customs purposes. If no value is shown in block 5, the appropriate SED exception wording is required.
- Section 7 Completed By UPS/CFS or Customer
Handling Information - to contain any special instructions or notes regarding freight, dims, ULD numbers, and individual position weight.
- Section 8 Completed By Customer
Number of Pieces
- Section 9 Completed By Customer
NOTE: This does not include tare weight of aircraft pallets and/or containers, however it does include the weight of wooden skids
- Section 10 Completed By Customer
Kilograms (kg) or Pounds (lbs).
- Section 11 Completed By Customer
Chargeable weight. The actual weight or the dimensional weight, whichever is greater.
- Section 12 Completed By Customer
Rate/Charge - International MAWB only
- Section 13 Completed By Customer
Total - International MAWB only
- Section 14 Completed By Customer
Nature and quantity of goods, the description of cargo. This may include dimensions or volume.
NOTE: Using the term "Consolidation" or like terms is not an acceptable description of goods. Description must be specific.
- Section 15 Completed By Customer
Signature of shipper or agent.
- Section 16 Completed By UPS/CFS
Date of signing
- Section 17 Completed By UPS/CFS
Time of signing.
- Section 18 Completed By UPS/CFS
Place of signing - three letter code of the gateway.
NOTE: Refer to MAWB example in Air Cargo Forms Section.
- Section 19 Completed By UPS/CFS
Signature of issuing carrier or its agent refers to:
- UPS representative OR
- CFS employee
NOTE: Clarify all signatures.
- Section 20-23 Completed By Customer
NOTE: 20, 21, 22 and 23 are to be completed at the destination gateway or CFS by the consignee or their agent. If the destination gateway has a CFS, the destination gateway maintains an unsigned copy of the MAWB (#5 or #6) along with a signed, Register of Air Freight Shipments/AC-12, or work order on file.
- Section 24 Completed By Customer
Indicate Service Type if Perishable, Priority, or RFS.